St Theresa’s Home sits on this plot of land since 1939. With a massive donation of $60,000 in the earlier 30s from philanthropists Mr Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par, the Little Sisters of Poor started the construction of the Aged Home designed by Singapore’s prominent architect Mr Ho Kwong Yew.
The Little Sisters of the Poor are an international congregation of Catholic nuns founded in 1839 by St Jeanne Jugan. Their mission is to look after the old, poor and destitute. Their charisma is easily recognisable by their hospitality and caring attitude towards the residents and visitors too. Their love for the residents is unrivalled. One of the older sisters used to mentioned that during the Japanese Occupation, the sisters were able to house 300 families. It is really hard to imagine 300 families living together given that there were only very few toilets and showering facilities.
The Kampong spirit built up by the Little Sisters is probably why the home could be sustained and maintained with small donations and limited workers. The healthy seniors will help the weaker ones. Bonds and friendship were made and developed over the years. Till today, you can still feel the remnants of the spirit in the home.
On 1st July 2003, the Little Sisters of the Poor moved out of Singapore and Catholic Welfare Services has since then taken over management of St. Theresa’s Home. The focus of the Home remains the same. The new management aims to provide quality holistic care for the elderly and aged sick through the continuum of nursing and spiritual care tailored to the needs of each resident.